Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Windows XP HDD..

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundhog1

Electrical
May 4, 2003
US
(Appologies in advance for my stupidity in this area...)

My old laptop broke, so I scavanged the HDD for use as general storage and backup. But I can no longer get to some areas of the HDD because it thinks that I am not authorized.

Is there a way to unlock these directories or make it so that all users can access the drive?

Thanks,
groundhog

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Backup the data that you're authorised to access, then reformat the drive. You'll probably have to restore the locked data from your normal backups if you can't login as the authorised user or as administrator

Good Luck
johnwm

Steam Engine enthusiasts:

OOOOhhh.
That's not a good answer!
I was hoping for some high level administrator thing...
Oh well.
Thanks for the help.

Hey one more question.
Can I load any applications onto this HDD and then take it to work on my other computer, and then run the apps there?
OR will the second computer's registry not recognise the apps?

groundhog1

As a general rule, that will not work, although, there are some applications that are quite forgiving about registry entries.

If you have administrator privilege, you should be able to reset the security on different folders.

TTFN

Do you have the XP installation CD? If so just stick it into the machine, boot up and you have administrator access to everything.

So you mean just having the CD in there?

When I get a new computer, I make up a general user ID and I have an adminstrator ID. But there is already an admistrator in there. Who is that for and how do I use that ID? Is that administrator better than any of the rest?

The built-in administrator account is just a standard member of the administrator group. It's the default login account so you can set the other accounts up. You should change the blank password to a safe one as soon as you install

Good Luck
johnwm

Steam Engine enthusiasts:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back