Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mylar Ink - Rubber Stamping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahunt

Structural
Sep 10, 2005
US
Hi Everyone!
I'm sealing drawings, unlike our normal proceedure, the client wants film/mylar prints. I'm using Sanford 58701 black ink and my stamp, I doubt it'll last.

Anyone else wet seal mylar? What ink is out there?

Thanks,
-A.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem with using regular stamp pad ink on Mylar is that it will take a long time to dry. You'll end up with smudged stamps.
We use Specialty Ink #1250 (and its activator) on the rare occasion when we stamp Mylars. Specialty Inks are in Deer Park, NY, at least when we bought our last bottle.

Thanks, Jed... I didn't know that there was a specialty ink for mylar, other than that used for plotting. I've plotted the drawings with my seal attached and then signed the seal using permanent ink.

Dik

there are ink pads out there with ink suitable for mylar, which doesn't require activator. I have been using the same stamp pad for about 15 years and use it on everything. Mine is Dennison Carter's Black 21-282

Unfortunately we have to submit Mylar drawings on a regular basis. What seems to work best for us is to stamp the ink pad then a scrape piece of paper then stamp the Mylar. Or after stamping the Mylar and sealing the drawings place a post it note over the seal. A post it note is the perfect size to cover a seal and by the time the drawings are delivered to the reproduction business or the city the extra ink is absorb by the post it note and everything is dry with no smudges.

i usually just spread them all out and then stamp all drawings. Wait about 15 minutes and then date and sign them all. Wait a few more minutes and they are dry enough to handle.

One thing I learned way back when was that not all inks are equally opaque to UV like is used in a blue line machine. Any ink made for that should be fine, but other inks- test 'em first.

I print my drawings with the seal on them. so far I have not had to wet seal anything. I use Sharpie markers to sign the drawings. mylar tears up the fine Sharpies, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back