Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mysterious Isolator Part Number Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJW308

Aerospace
Apr 21, 2003
US
I'm working towards my DER ticket.

My current project involves the addition of instruments to an instrument panel in a Beechcraft Bonanza A-36.

The instrument panel is mounted to two brackets which are in turn mounted to the airframe by two vibration dampers per bracket. The part number on the dampers is "150 PL-14" which sounds like a Lord part number, but doesn't exist in the Lord catalog or database.

I can also find the dampers in an aircraft shop's inventory via the internet, but they only list it as an isolator. There's no useful information there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can locate the specs on this item?

Thank you (in advance)

AJW308

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good luck AJW, on getting your DER authorization. I've been a card carrying DER (and DAR) since 1995 and it's great fun. Believe me each job is different than any before!!

My suggestion on your A-36 project is to go to the IPC for that machine. Quite often the parts callout is quite different than the numbers on the hardware. I think it may depend on the lowest bidder for that component when Beech was buying parts.

Are you trying to see if you have capacity for the added instruments within the original mounts?

Have fun, JQC

Thank you JQCF1 for your helpful response. The IPC is ambiguios on this. Some serial number ranges had two isolators per bracket, some had one and a pivot point. The range of serial numbers that brackets the aircraft I'm working on has partial information.

Pulling the glove box does allow one to see a second isolator on each bracket that is not listed in the IPC.

My A&P will call Beech/Raytheon and get the final authoritative word on how the panel is installed.

Again, thank you for your help.

Beech probably considers the specs proprietary and would probably want to collect a fee for the info.

It may very well be a Lord mount re-identified with a Beech P/N in the Beech IPC.

A similar mount from the Lord catalog may be an identical part with one important difference, none of the manufacturing records exist for the part from Lord that might be kept for an aircraft part.

How much you can separate the manufacturing process from the quality, is the question.

If you use parts like that, and there is an AD, the aircraft owner might never have a chance to comply because no one at Beech is aware of parts from that particular lot number or date range is on their airplanes.

Some of the extra expense of TSO/PMA parts is justified by the record keeping, if nothing else.

I agree with Kontik, that the paper trail is large part of the replacement part world. As a DER you do not want to get into the "Unapproved Parts arena".

What does this part look like? Can you take a pic or compare to an item in Lord or Barry Controls catalog? Maybe simpler to go the identicality route with ACO/MIDO cooperation but that would be tough w/o specs on what's now there.

It will be interesting as to what Beech says. I've found them to be helpful....for a price!!
JQC

You have done your homework! There is probably enough in the current Lord catalog to reconstruct what you seek, even though this particular variant is not there. Breaking it down:

150PL-14

where 150 = 150 series, 1/4" center bolt, four #8 holes on 1.375" square. 100 series = #8 center bolt, 200 series = 3/8" bolt.

P = plateform mount. "A" preceeding this means aerospace, blank (like yours) means industrial. Yours is square; PD is diamond, PH is raised holder.

L = aluminum. Blank means steel.

-14 is 14 lbs. rated load. So just 2 lbs. more than what you see in catalog.

Can't help with load/deflection curve.

Barry 2820 series is similar but not an exact drop-in replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back