Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

n10 sulfuric acid

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmwatson78

Chemical
Aug 7, 2007
US
Is n10 sulfuric acid the same as .1N? I need to order n10 sulfuric acid and all I can find in the book is 10N or 10%. thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"n10 sulfuric acid" isn't very meaningful.
Commonly in the past, 0.1 N was printed N/10.
Also, never omit the 0 in writing 0.1 N.

10N sulfuric acid isn't used as a titrant; so concentrated that buret filling & endpoint errors are significant. Wt% isn't for titrants; Molarity or Normality is much easier for calculating concentrations.

The titrant's concentration perhaps can be back-calculated from the formula used to calculate concentration of solution being titrated. Please post the entire procedure so we can see in context.

I will be using 10ml of phosphate liquid, bromocresol green .1% indicator and titrating with sulfuric acid. im thinking they are wanting 0.1N sulfuric acid and its just written wrong. they have it written as n10 and I think that is what is throwing me off. we are testing for free acid, that is why i was asking about free acid. the link you gave me helped me alot, thanks for that. I understand now why we are testing for free acid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back