Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NACA Airfoil Section Definitions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjs4689

Aerospace
Jan 9, 2002
US
Is there a place I can get the NACA Airfoil Section Definitions? I am looking for 0010 and 0018 specifically but if I can find a srouce for the others great!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I have misread the question, I apologize, but if what you are looking for is the geometry of the airfoils in question, then the numbers 0010 or 0018 should be all you need. The first number gives the max camber in % chord (ie, a 0 means the airfoil is symmetrical about the horizontal axis), the second gives the horizontal location of the max camber in 10x % chord (again, a 0 means the camber line is horizontal - but a 4 would mean the maximum camber is reached at 40% the length of the chord) and the last two represent the max thickness in % chord. I just ran a search on google for 'NACA airfoil nomenclature' and

seems to explain it pretty well (ie, much better than me). Good luck!

Erik

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are looking for a progam or website where you can find the airfoil coordinates. If this is what you are trying to do, then you can take a look at this site. I have not tried this program yet, but it seems like it will do what you need. The plotting of 4 and 5 digit airfoils is pretty simple and it looks like they might have a user friendly interface.

I hope this is what you were searching for. Good luck!

If you are looking for an invaluable resource for airfoil data, then get a copy of "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbott and Doenhoff. It includes airfoil theory, airfoil coordinate data, and lift and drag characteristics of each airfoil.

Hi

I know a little about NACA nomenclature but I am having trouble with the following airfoils can anyone help explain what the numbers mean.

NACA 0008-1.1-25
NACA 0005-.825-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back