NACE Compatible Internal Spiral Rings? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan_Jewett

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2024
US
Hey Guys

I need some tips on tracking down some other materials that i can make some internal spiral rings out of that will still be compatible with NACE MR0175.

The NACE Book only says 15-7 stainless steel is usable, however after being in talks with my companies vendors for hardware, they are all telling me that 15-7 is not compatible with the style of ring we want.

for reference the style of ring we are trying to get made is identical to either

Smalley
WHM-106

ROTORCLIP
KG-106

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you classing the spiral ring as a snap ring ?

Would it qualify as a spring ? In which case materials such as Inconel or Nimonic 90 could be allowable.

Because we are designing something with snap rings/spiral rings involved and part 3 says only 15-7 Stainless for Snap rings according to table A.29 in part 3

I had thought that there was of list of PH grades, each with the minimum aging temp needed to meet this requirement.
How on earth can they not make your style of ring in this alloy?
Is your ring not actually classified as a snap-ring?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

according to the book Table a.29 lists all available materials for Snap rings and originally we were trying to make a Spiral ring with said materials that it only designates available for snap rings and hoping we could find someone who could make it for us. But for some reason our vendors either could not or would not make it for us. However we believe that with some modifications to our parts we should be fit in actual snap rings which i have found from sites like ROTORCLIP that are made out of 15-7

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f04de953-9d39-4a24-9fc2-af4f65385174&file=IMG_0689.jpg
Any material in “the book” can be used so long as it complies with the material requirements, and the environmental limits. Table A.29 is not the be all and end all. You could start with tables that apply to “any item of equipment”.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back