Not open for further replies.

teokal

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
GR
Dear all,
Reference is made to NACE MR0103-2015, clause 15.2.3
Quoting:
15.2.3 The base materials listed in Clause 13 or Clause 14 are also allowed as weld overlays, provided
they meet the provisions of their respective paragraphs after being applied as overlays. Following
application of the overlay, the base material shall meet the hardness requirement for that base metal
specified in the pertinent material paragraph or subclause within Clause 13 or Clause 14.
Unquoting

My question is practically:
When we apply Weld Overlay of Austenitic (Ferrous) or Nickel (Non-Ferrous) on - let's say - Carbon Steel of P Nr 1, should we perform Hardness Test on the Base Metal (P Nr 1), on its non-weld overlaid side (external)? Does not really make any sense.
Or - as I understand it - the Weld Overlay Material should have after its weld overlay application, the maximum Hardness value prescribed for it as if it was Base Material (plate for example)? The latter makes more sense...

I tried to do my best to express my question correctly, sorry if I have not succeeded it... But the standard also, is not so clear...

Only best result in absolutely necessary time

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The hardness of the base metal is required to ensure that it has retained its original property after the weld overlay.
The hardness of the HAZ as well as the overlaid material should also be within the acceptable limits of the base metal.

hi
why base ferrous material (e.g. CS) that is cladded/overlayed with SS and not in contact with wet H2S service still requires hardness limitation as per NACE MR0103 section 15.2.3 ?
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back