Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NACE MR0103-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsmith22

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2005
US
I am reviewing NACE MR0103-2015. 13.1.1 specifies the heat treatment conditions of carbon steel materials. Can someone verify my assumptions are correct or point me to a website or document that can verify these assumptions? Searching the forum and other websites, I assume the following:

SA-105 materials (flanges and fittings) need to be normalized. As-forged does not meet the heat treatment condition
SA-516 Gr.70 plate is acceptable. We have had customers specify normalized in the past but that is a user requirement
SA-106 Gr.B pipe that is hot finished meets the requirements of the hot rolled condition. (per A Compendium of Inquiries and Interpretations for NACE MR0175/ISO 15156)
SA-36 will need to be ordered normalized
I'm not sure about SA-53 Gr,B ERW due to the seam weld. May be an issue with the HAZ?
SA-234 WPB butt weld elbows and pipe caps? Assume normalizing is required.

Is there a document similar to "A Compendium of Inquiries and Interpretations for NACE MR0175/ISO 15156" for NACE MR0103?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

- A105 needs to have one of the heat treatments indicated in A105 and as listed in MR0103, 13.1, c)
- A516 depends on plate thickness as per A516. Under 40 mm can be as rolled - acceptable to MR0103 (but not considered by some end users to have optimal resistance)
- A106 assumption OK if the end user tolerates it
- A36 is listed in ASME IX, so 13.1, c) can apply, but worth tying down the heat treatment options of A6, 6.1, Note 2
- A53 is listed in ASME IX - will require specified SP0472 heat treatment parameters, plus any of the other indicated options for HAZ
- A234 - best to specify an appropriate heat treatment as there are too many potential options that could be non-compliant

No similar document

IOGP S-563 Material Data Sheets will give you some idea of other restrictions that typical upstream oil and gas end users would adopt.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back