Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NACE MR0175 umbrella covers HIC for plate material 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankSnvessels

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2015
TH
I have come again to that fork road where my Engineer mentions in Plate Material Spec "+NACE MR0175" when we expect the plate vendor to quote for sour service, i.e. HIC resistant.
But the vendor says he quoted with NACE but without HIC? Scope of NACE MR0175 states it “…addresses all mechanisms of cracking that can be caused by H2S, including…. Stress-oriented hydrogen-induced cracking,…”
Has anyone else faced similar problem time and again? Are we missing anything or the vendor is fooling?
Please share your experience and knowledge on this for enlightenment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you actually referred to the standard in question to see what it says?
It's been a while since I've used it, but it does have various exemptions, options, and assumes that both purchaser and seller are reading and coordinating the requirements.

Okay, there in Section 8, "The equipment user shall consider HIC/SWC...when evaluating flat-rolled carbon steel products...and shall consider HIC/SWC testing of these products. Annex B provides guidance on test methods and acceptance criteria...", etc.
Also, refer to the exemptions in Table 1, which may entirely exempt the item in question from the requirements of MR0175.

We come again to saying that your Engineer is lazy. It's down to the end user to explicitly specify what is required, not simply quote "MR0175" and then sit back thinking all bases are covered. If HIC resistant steel is required, then it should have been clearly specified along with the means of verifying its HIC resistance. As you can see from the quoted text of Part 2, Clause 8 above, the umbrella has a few holes in it that require patching with a good specification.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Thank you very much J Stephen. Yes I had read all the clauses, checked Table 1 exclusions and Annex B. The question is if we do not mention to the plate vendor of any exclusions is he bound to give us plate material including HIC resistant?

The vendor does not have to provide HIC resistant material because it was never asked for. They can take this approach because the onus is on the equipment user to ensure the suitability of the material. They can excuse themself by the wording of Clause 8, whereby they have assumed that the equipment user has "considered" HIC/SWC and, owing to the absence of explicit requirements, have deemed HIC/SWC resistant steel is not required.

You can run a search on all posts with the term "HIC test"; the results are littered with threads similar to this one.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back