Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nail Gun Testing Fixture, designing fixture and counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogiedreamer

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2005
Hi,
I am designing a test fixture to test the life of a seal (I am a seal engineer) inside a nail gun. I have little experience in designing test fixtures and I need your advice.

Here are the criteria:

1. Nail gun must be fastened or clamped tight.
2. Use pneumatic actuator, rotating motor other mechanical means to mechanically trigger the nail gun. Please advice on this.
3. Need to count the number of cycle. How?
4. Nail gun generates loud noise and vibration, what material should I use for the Housing? I am thinking about aluminum. Any advice.

If you have concept sketches please send them to me at bogiedreamer@gmail.com .

Thank you very much,
Bogiedreamer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are looking for quick and dirty, I would go with a rotating shaft. The shaft could have one cam to actuate the trigger, a second to actuate some sort of trip counter.

As for the enclosure, use whatever is handy. Plywood would work just fine, just make sure that you have something durable where the nails hit (unless you are dry-firing). Line the outside with acoustical foam or a quilted sound deadening blanket and go to town.

Hope this helps.

One cam would do if it counts at some angle to the gun actuator.
Not sure what you mean by "housing". An enclosure for the test set up? If so, it could be built of plywood unless you are concerned about flying debris when the gun fails. Wood is a good insulator for sound and temperature.
It seems to me that you might have some test mechanism design issues with cycles per time if you want to make certain that each cycle is initiated at full line pressure. Maybe you have already addressed this but my experience with air tools leads me to think that there are areas of temperature, lubrication and load that should be at least acknowledged in your study.

Griffy

You might make the gun mounts a little elastic, so as to better simulate its actual use environment.

Another reason for doing so is that then you can use the gun's motion to trigger a counter. Done right, such an arrangement should cause the counter to stop indexing when the gun stops firing properly.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

i would use cast iron if u want good vibration dampning, a ply wood encolsur shud work well...u can get fancy and even put a lexan window. as for as actuating, cam shud be more consistant and cheaper.

Hi all,
thanks for your input.

I have sucessfully designed a cam(basically a round disc attached to the shaft with a finger at the circumference sticking out and trip the trigger and the disc rotates) to trigger the nail gun. The nail is firing empty.

Now I need to know what type/model/brand of counter can I use to count the number of cycle? I am looking for a counter with a lever that can be trip by the same "finger" that activates the nail gun although they don't have to be activate at the same time, could be half a cycle different.

thank you very much.
Bogiedreamer

Here is site that has a good cross section of the both mechanical and electrical counters available
Get a good one and keep it around the lab.

Veeder-Root has been around for years.

unclesyd,
thank you very much. exactly what I am looking for.
Bogiedreamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back