Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nailing Requirements of Facia

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFreund

Structural
Aug 14, 2010
US
Has anyone every seen a reference for the suggested spacing or nailing pattern for facia.

I suppose I could calc the C&C wind force and compare to an 8 penny nail allowable withdraw? Would an aluminum 8 penny be the same as what is in the NDS?

Thanks

EIT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RFreund...that's a reasonable approach to the problem. I would probably not use aluminum nails. I believe the NDS values are for steel wire nails.

Thanks for the replies.
The question actually stems more from an investigation side(wind damage) than design. Also I mentioned aluminum nails because I was thinking of aluminum siding.

I should note that I am not personally the one doing the investigation but in a lot of wind damage cases you see the facia torn off, especially residential and I was just wondering if there was a nailing requirement.

Thanks again.

EIT

Typically subfacia boards are attached to the truss tails with 3-#12 or #16 (if 2x6 LP is subfaicia is used) gun nails, then aluminum is wrapped over the subfacia. Aluminium wrap is attached using small painted stailless ringshank nails every 24 inches along the bottom edge, the drip edge will secure the top of the fascia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back