Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name does not update in assembly during a save as

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiloebel

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2012
US
Having a really weird issue where the "Name" (not DB_PART_NAME) but the "name" in Component Properties > General Tab, is not updating when a part is save-as'd. I.e., save-as a part AAA3793661-LATER to AAA3793661-12345. The part in the Assembly navigator is correct, when hovering over, or the number that pops up on the top of the screen is still the old AAA3793661-LATER. This is mostly isolated to a single user and is fairly consistent (although doesn't happen ever single time he save-as).

Has anyone encountered this before, or maybe can point me to a setting that may need to be checked?

Using TC 8.3.3.1 with NX 8.0.3.4 MP6

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you right click on that part and go to properties then go to general, there is a name. This usually happens to us when the datasets in teamcenter get renamed. Then the renaming does not follow the "rule" for saveas in teamcenter. For our Old I-Deas parts these names can get very interesting in that header for us.

We know how to correct the issue after it occurs, but we cannot figure out why it is happening in the first place. Like I said, this happens to a specific user who is doing the save-as right in NX. I've watched his process, which is the same as mine, but cannot spot any difference. Wondering it there is a setting that is different on his instance compared to everyone else.

I would rather guess that this user is "touching" the "component name" when adding components to the assembly
This makes that name "sticky" for that instance ( the specific "occurrence" of that part in this assembly)
i.e imagine a car assembly, you add the component wheel-abc123/01 to the assembly and you apply the component name "left front wheel" .
Even if you replace the wheel part, the Component name on that occurrence will stay.
( do not touch Component name unless you want to apply "left front wheel".)

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back