Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Name for electorally actuated burst disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooby-tube

Aerospace
Dec 10, 2023
US
Hello everyone,

I have been struggling to find the name for a component that is similar to a burst disk but instead of failing at a certain pressure, the disk can be remotely ruptured with an electrical signal. Another way to put is a valve that only actuates once and stays open position once actuated.

I have tried searched "remotely actuated burst disk", "electrically actuated burst disk", "signal controlled burst disk", etc to no avail so I am hoping you folks can point me in the right direction. Since this component might exist as an FTS part (flight termination system) in aerospace, I have also be asking on that forum too.

For those curious, the application is part of a a cyrogen safety system which allows a control system to trigger a vent and guarantee the vent remains open even in loss of power, loss of signal, etc. Basically, once the vent is triggered, the operator knows the state of the system regardless of what is happening elsewhere in the system.

Thanks everyone!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's wrong with a held closed Blow down valve? I.e a FO ESD valve.

Lose power and the valve opens and is then latched open until locally reset?

Can't recall exactly what you are looking for a alternatives exist.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RVAmeche said:
Not sure of the exact thing you're looking for, but possibly some sort of actuated buckling pin device?

An actuated buckling pin device could work! Ideally I am looking for a small form factor so I will need to look around a bit to see what is available. While this might be a bit of a stretch, to meet a smaller form factor I could see a inhouse modification where you swap out the buckling bin with an explosive bolt/sep nut which would let you ditch the actuation valve and potential simplify the buckling mechanism too. No matter what it gives an interesting option in the trade study I am starting.

LittleInch said:
What's wrong with a held closed Blow down valve?
Looking into a blow down valve, I am gathering this is an isolation valve which in my scenario would be normally closed? If I got that right I have been looking to different isolation valves and for what I am trying to do they tend to not be ideal given actuation time and foot print (I probably should have mentioned that I am seeking something that comes in with a smaller size whoops!).

3DDave said:
This is a duplicate thread.
I am guilty of the repost yes hahaha. I am not sure how frequently different engineers move between different forums and I know that the fluid mechanic engineering forum would have different solutions to the aerospace forum where I also asked this question (link to the other forum). To save the trip over there, some suggestions that I have seen are pyrotechnic valves and squibs placed directly on a burst disk. Both of these options have their pros and cons of course just like the actuated buckling pin device also has its pros and cons. However, all the different POV will lead to I am hoping my quick edification and a thorough trade study.

OK.

Ignoring the duplicate thread thing for a moment,

You need to define and think about

Size,
Pressure rating
(Most important) - time required for activation
Is it supposed to be failsafe (ESD)? or only when activated?

If you're talking small (<1") then solenoid valves open very fast on loss of supply or if voltage is applied.

Duplicate threads usually end up with one of them being deleted. If you're going to do it OK ink the other thread and make the second thread a different question.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back