Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

name for these triangle plates used to strengthen moment capacity at welded connection? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoiloftheMonth

Civil/Environmental
Jun 10, 2018
US
name for these triangle plates used to strengthen moment capacity of welded connection? I currently estimate the moment capacity of these connections as if the plate is not there. Working to see how I can take these plates into account, I assume the moment capacity with is stronger than without, how much can't say. Anyone know what these are being called, in the engineering world or even by the fab/iron workers?

pic attached
thanks

som

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e7c0fd87-8612-42a6-916b-6887593d829b&file=1.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Those are "gussets". Done right and they help with stiffness considerably. Done wrong and they form a place to start a fatigue crack - look at a can-opener that makes a triangular opening - the tip of the opener piercing the can is similar to what a badly located gusset can do if there are enough loading cycles.

"Gussets" or "gusset plates". Commonly used on things that aren't analyzed.
To analyze the gusset itself, I treat it as if divided into strips along the free edge, and use column equations to find the allowable strength of each strip. Then make the assumption that one strip can't buckle unless the whole thing does, so sum or integrate the resulting strengths to find total vertical load or total moment load that can be applied to the gusset. There should be potential for a nice master's thesis in those things.

I don't find the strips that problematic and use an approach similar to JStephen... generally average outer edge and middle strip... biggest concern I have is what 3DDave noted about the effect on the member it is attached to... I go through hoops sometimes in convincing others that it's generally less costly to use a thicker base plate than to use gussets, in particular with HSS items.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

SoiloftheMonth,

It would be good to change your thread title, as you are not asking about "movement", but rather about moment. Also in the first sentence. Two very different things.

We would call then stiffener plates or buttress plates. We've seen the fatigue issues noted above when these are used at connections of poles to base plates. They seem to cause more problems than they solve in those applications.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

That's why I like thicker baseplates... best of both worlds... I wish engineers would do this.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thicker base plates can be a good option, but in the OP's application, there are no base plates. Agree with others that he has shown gussets, also called stiffeners.

Yup... was in reference to Bridgesmith's comment... sorry... still like thicker baseplates.

-Dik

Don't make the gussets too stiff, they are just supposed to add a little.
If they are too stiff then you will get buckling and/or cracking at the ends.
And remember to notch the inside enough to clear the inside weld so that you have overlapping welds.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Mitred knee joints can be used for CHS or RHS sections (see detail and link below).
See sketch below for unstiffened and stiffened details.

image_wydnva.png

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back