Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Name of rotating device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Under a telescope, it would be called an Altazimuth mount.

Your illustration gives no hint of the scale of what you need.
Kinematically similar mechanisms are found under swivel guns and other small cannons, in Hooke joints, and many other places.

... which does not mean that you will just happen to find exactly what you need with the exact proportions, strengths, precision, and stiffnesses that you need.

Given its relative simplicity, you may be better off designing from scratch within your own problem space, and directing your effort to optimizing the construction methods for your production volume.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike,

Thanks for the reply, i should of been more detailed. The device i'm looking for is to be mechanically driven by two motors, one drives the base and the other drives the rotating plate. The aim is to have a device capable of being attached to the side of a table bench timber saw. I'm not completely sure what my boss is intending on using it for but he has asked me to identify it and where he could buy one from. I would imagine the size of the device would the size of a soccer ball or smaller.

Cheers
Addt

What is a "table bench timber saw", please?

Why does this device move. Does it position the saw blade or the timber or something else?

We are in the saw blade business. If there was a different name I might be able to help.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back