Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Naming within parasolid assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXMold

Industrial
Jan 29, 2008
When I export a parasolid file, then use File, Open to re-import it into NX, each body gets created as a component but my component naming is not preserved. Instead, the new components are named "{filename}_id636_x_t".

Is it possible to include include naming information within parasolids?

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would also like to find a solution to this. A similar thing happens when importing SolidWork's files (it adds the file extension to the file name... very time consuming fix and pointless to begin with i feel).

I have attached a PDF file describing this issue with more detail. I need to assign solid body names when exporting STEP files, in order to have named products within CATIA. I have both NX7.5 and CATIA V5R18 on my workstation.

My assemblies are each several hundred parts, I cannot practically enter all the names manually.

If there is not already an option within the software to fill-in null body names with the component file name at the time of export, this would be a valuable feature to add.

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=af63ed0e-36c9-4b53-a9c1-15fce9e80f3c&file=STEP_Naming.pdf
You may also need to look at the STEP spec itself and see what is required with component naming.
While your request is nice, if it doesn't have something in the spec to require naming, or naming is not allowed, the Siemens' reviewer could just pass your request off as their translator meets the spec.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I'm not sure I understand. As evidenced in my screen shots, the SPET format permits the transfering of a name from NX to CATIA.

NX, however, uses a name field that is null by default. My request is to be more comprehensive in filling this null field with something useful before resorting to A) the top level assembly component name and B) a random internal ID number. It would be more useful, for me and for many other people, if the individual component name which contains the solid body is used.

IR# 6614316 if anyone needs to know.

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back