Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Narrow Trench Pavement Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dredger01

Civil/Environmental
Oct 10, 2016
US
I've got a project that requires installing about 160-ft of 3/4" gas line across a heavy vehicle maintenance yard (thick section 8" PCC, #4 12" OCEW).

The gas line will be a 2-ft bury, and I am considering the minimum width of trench for saw cutting and replacement of the paving.

Many details I've found recommend a 4-ft minimum width, with 1-ft overlap each side of the trench. I think this increased width is to have the replacement concrete act as a panel.

As a value engineering, would anyone recommend a 2-ft wide trench cut. I wonder if practically they could drill in dowels to the adjacent concrete (#4@12" O.C.) with such a narrow trench? I think compacted 3/4" gravel as trench backfill and subgrade would be appropriate rather than flowable fill.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd go wider, maybe 4 feet and limit trench bottom width, depending on excavator available. I'd want sloping sides of the trench so there is less chance of losing support for adjacent slabs. Of course it depends on subgrade material. In running sand, maybe go even wider. If a narrow trencher is used, there still is a good chance the sides will be loose, so sloping sides would be better.

this is typically a "T" type trench. your trench can be any width that is constructable with your soil conditions and your equipment, preferably as narrow as possible, but pavement repair is usually wider.
k16o1x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back