Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NASTRAN Superelements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Oct 29, 2001
IT
Hi pals, any of you can suggest me where one can find documentation on the use of Superelements in NASTRAN? I have no possibility of attending the pertaining seminar, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Spirit

P.S.: I posted the question also on the MSC NASTRAN Software Forum: at the moment it is rather new and rather diserted; let's start it up, I guess a lot of good can come of it! [2thumbsup]

'Ability is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.'

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MSC used to publish a "Handbook for Superelement Analysis", written by M. Reymond. You might try calling them to see if you can get a copy. I got my copy about 15 years ago. This handbook is fairly well written and will allow you to to learn superelements on your own.

pj

Superelements are elements created from a matrix reduction technique. Normal element-derived FEA matrices are very sparse matrices with many degrees of freedom. One can use techniques to give an approximately-equivalent element with smaller degrees of freedom (smaller "active nodes") but with a very densely-populated element matrix.

Superelements can dramatically reduce degrees of freedom in a structure when properly employed. Oftentimes, there is little degradation to the answers when compared with the full-dof systems.

Brad

Goodmorning to all,
A customer sent to me two external superelement in *.op4 format with *.asm and *.pch files included, and I have to perfom a Nastran analysis whit a residual structure.
I would like to know how to include the *.op4, *.asm and *.pch file in the main bulk data of the *.bdf file with the residual structure.
On the web I did't find naything about this argument.
Thank You very much, I really don't know how to proceed.

Francesco

Hi Spirit,

MSC still has a specific manual available on using superelements. The last update of this manual was in 2006, if I'm not mistaken. If your company is a Nastran user then you should be able to access the manuals on the Net.

Andries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back