Nat gas supply line to a generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb2102sm

Chemical
Sep 13, 2013
US
Hi all,

I was tasked to design a fuel gas (Natgas)supply line to a generator. I was reading some guidelines on fuel gas installations to generators set, however there is a detail these guidelines did not provide. This detail has to do with a line (sensing line) that goes from the regulator's downstream piping back to the regulator(see attached pdf). My question is, how far should this sensing line be installed away from the regulator?

Has anyone worked in a similar project? Any experience to share? All inputs are much appreciated.

Regards,
pb2102sm

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a47cad47-72d8-4dc4-892c-8847bec15d5c&file=Gen_Fuel_gas_line_installation.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You would need to ask the vendor of the valve what they recommend or look up the installation manual for that particular valve.

If you can't find anything my best guess would be 10D of the low pressure fuel line into the generator away from the control valve. But could be less.

This is the picture
Gen_Fuel_gas_line_installation_c4isbb.jpg

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The purpose of a remote sensing line on the regulator is to allow the the regulator to control the pressure accurately at, or closer, to the point of use, where pressure needs to be kept constant. It eliminates the pressure errors caused by high velocity turbulent flow inside the valve exit, and friction losses in piping and fittings between the valve and point of use. You do need to be careful that the line is not so long that the time delay in sensing pressure causes oscillation of the valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back