Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Natural frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSolid

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2001
HR
How can I determine natural frequency of some part (or assembly) that is made in SolidWorks?
What do I need, some FEA package or something simpler ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cosmos works is an FEA package and solidworks gold partner that will do frequency analysis and buckling as well as thermal and static analyis. they have 2 or 3 different packages depending on if you're doing linear or non-linear analyses, flow, etc. if you're not going to be doing a lot of testing, you may want to look at subbing this out. the software is pretty expensive.

the company that makes the software also will do analysis if you send them your model. they are structural research & analysis corp. (SRAC)

good luck. earl patrick
epillsbury@bensonglobal.com

Natural frequency is just not determined by the model. It is also dependent on the Material Used, elastic constant of material (material properties). The types of joints (eg ball joint, etc). Points of fixing (boundary conditions or constraints). FEA will be best solution. There are lot of FEA consultant firms / Education firms. If your requirement is just 1 part/year. Subcontract them. Experts are there for this subject.

It's something like this.
Problem that I need to solve is possible reconstruction of some part on steam turbine. I want to see if all this is possible, and only then I will suggest it to my bosses. So for now, this is not official project, and that is why I can't get finance to for outsorcing (I hope this is right term).

Yes, FEA packages are logical choice, but I hoped that there is something else .. We have Nastran, but I personally don't use it, and in SW and it's add-on modules "I feel like home" ..

Both cosmosworks and designspace which is a similiar product by ANSYS, are extremely easy to use and integrate well with solidworks - not at all like their the full blown products which compete with nastran.

Both companies will send you 1 month evaluation copies whch you can use to try out some sample problems.

I have used both to assess frequencies for pumps modelled in SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back