Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Natural Gas Isolation Ball Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishal

Industrial
Mar 8, 2005
Hi,
I am looking for recommendations for ball valves for isolation of natural gas fuel supply to our power station in the UK. Sizes range from 8inch to 12 inch ASA 300.

Our existing valves are PTFE seated and have suffered from scoring due to dirt in the pipeline. Even the valves downstream of our inlet filters have suffered the same problem. We have stripped the existing valves and replaced the seats but the ball was also found scored in many of them so they still leak.

I have been recommended a ball valve with primary metal seat and secondary soft seat. OEM is Bohmer. Anyone any experience of this OEM or this type of valve seat arrangement?

Thanks.
Al

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The CCGT I worked at until a month ago had Nakakita valves on the fuel gas system from original build. They have stood up to 16 years of service remarkably well with very little ever being required during overhaul.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Are you using them as regulators. Either full open or full closed should improve the life.

"Pumping systems account for nearly 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25% to 50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities." - DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99.99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back