Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Natural Gas safety valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam654

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2007
US
I need to replace a 3/4 x 1" safety valve on a natural gas main that has a missing label. The only question I have is what the seat material should be. Metal, Buna, Viton? Is there a standard dictating this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably no specific standard for the seat material. Are you interested in an automatic valve?

Here is a typical specification for a safety valve at a facility:

Gas safety shut-off valves shall be FM & UL listed, electric motor operated, normally closed, manual reset type. Valves shall be rising stem design with a straight through flow path with metal-to-metal seat and disc arrangement. The valve seat shall be stainless steel and the disc ductile iron. Valves shall be provided with a NEMA 4 enclosure modified for Class I, Division II hazardous locations, be provided with an electrical terminal block and shall operate on 120 V AC., 60 Cycles, single phase. Valves shall meet ANSI Class VI leakage standard and shall be provided with a visual indicator to note the position of the valve whether "OPEN" or "SHUT".

Gas safety shut-off valves 2 inches and smaller shall be threaded, 2 1/2 inches and larger shall be flanged. Flanged valves shall be provided with companion flange set by valve manufacturer.

1. Gas safety shut-off valves 2 inches and smaller a. Manufacturer: 1) Maxon Corporation Series 808. 2) Or Approved Equal.

Thanks bimr. This is a run of the mill safety relief like a Kunkle or similar, not a Maxon. There is no standard at the facility. I was considering whether I needed bubble tight shutoff (Buna N) or integrity in the event of fire (metal seats). I was being a bit lazy not going through all the NFPA or ASME/APi standards.

Google and download Parker's o-ring handbook. That will have material of construction ratings for NG. It has a listing of UL Approved Services for NG.

Good luck,
Latexman

To a ChE, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back