Natural rubber extrusion venting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cityjack

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2013
US
Good morning all,

I apologize if this is not the correct forum as IO am new to rubber processing.

We are dosing rubber pellets that have been treated with CaCO3(Calcium carbonate) into the back end of a long dual screw extruder. We put different amounts of K100 resin in at different points in the extrusion process as well. At the very end of the extrusion process we are doing a degassing process with a liquid-ring vacuum pump through a couple condensation tanks trying to remove moisture from the gasses. We recirculate the cooling fluid for the vacuum pump through a heat exchanger.
My issue is this, right before the degassing stage on the extruder, I have a side feed to the extruder that has a large 12"Dia vent on top of the extruder. When running at process temp of around 230F, that vent puffs nasty smoke like a freight train. The mezzanine right above that vent has nasty gooey crap hanging from it. I need to clean that smoke somehow. Filter on the vent, run it through a trap of sorts. Something. I cannot just vent it to one of our dust collectors because that will gum the dust collector system up.

Any ideas would be greatly helpful.

Thank you

Sid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back