NBCC - Geometric Requirements of Industrial Stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deener

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2018
CA
Hey guys,
I'm laying out a set of interior stairs that will provide roof access for maintenance (monthly access for changing filters of some kind). This is a large factory (>600m^2) and the client wants to keep the footprint of the stairs to a minimum. Stairs are preferred over a ladder as the maintenance workers will be carrying the filters up with them. These stairs do not serve as exits so I believe they fall under the NBCC classification "3.3.1.14 - Sentence 2) Ramps and stairways that serve service rooms, service spaces or industrial occupancies need not comply with Sentence (1), provided a) they are intended for occasional use for servicing equipment and machinery, and b) they do not serve as exits." I see no other requirements in Part 3 of the NBCC.
I do not believe I need to comply with Part 9 of the code either as the factory is larger than 600 m^2 (see section 1.3.3.3).
Am I misinterpreting the code? In the States, these stairs seem to require OSHA compliance. I am ultimately wondering whether or not these stairs still require a landing as they are beyond 3.7m in total rise.
Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think your interpretation is correct. A landing should not be required, but you should check with the AHJ to see that he is on the same page. A landing is often nice if you have a long vertical distance to 'rest' a bit.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Correct... canwest provinces may have their own safety requirements.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back