Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NBIC - Maximum external weld build up

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryker1080

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2011
CA
Hello,

Does anyone know the basis for the maximum external weld build up limitations.

Per NBIC 3.3.4.l:

For each repair, the maximum dimension compensated by a circular or oval weld build up shall not exceed the lesser of 1/4 the nominal outside diameter or the component of 8 in. The length of a rectangular patch is not limited.

Per ASME PCC-2: It has a similar statement as above, but a rectangular patch is not exempt from the size limitations.

Does anyone know if there is a technical basis for this criteria or was it just arbitrarily assigned?

We have some external corrosion underneath a saddle support, which is not accessible to build up externally. Plan is to do a weld build up from the inside and use the NBIC criteria (our province follows NBIC).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, quite familiar with external weld build-up. Part 3, 3.3.4.3 (l) was inserted by the NBIC SC R&A to prevent one from re-building a complete circumference of a pressure retaining item by weld overlay.

Again, we were concerned with weld restoration of an entire circumference of a pressure retaining item. We selected 25% as a way to avoid this.

Metengr,

I do not understand your above post regarding the entire circumference limitation. How does a circular/oval overlay on the shell of a pressure vessel have anything to do with restoring the circumference? When I think of a "rectangular" overlay, I think of one that "follows" the circumferential weld lines. When I think of an oval/circular restoration, I think of an oval/circular area on the shell of a vessel that would, for instance, be overlaid for local metal thinning.

What am I missing?

@KLee777
What you are missing is that the committee felt strongly that we did not want to re-build or reconstruct an entire pressure vessel circumference (360 degrees) or other geometry using only a repair weld overlay.

stryker1080 said:
Per ASME PCC-2: It has a similar statement as above, but a rectangular patch is not exempt from the size limitations.

I'm curious as to what the basis for this statement is?

Though I agree with the NBIC sentiment, I think the flexibility allowed by PCC-2 Article 2.2 is beneficial. It requires sound engineering judgment and probably involving multiple technical disciplines, but in theory one could perform a full 360° weld buildup. I don't think that I've ever seen any serious proposal which would be anywhere near that dimension, but on smaller diameter vessels - and particularly piping - I might be persuaded to endorse a design for a 120° to perhaps even a 180° buildup.

I think this highlights a basic difference in philosophy in the NB committee and the Post Construction Committee. Note that "different" does not imply "better" or "worse". The NB has a more focused scope (vessels) and can be - and is - more prescriptive in its rules. The PCC, and specifically the Subcommittee for Repair and Testing which is responsible for PCC-2, has a broader scope and is less prescriptive ("shall") and more good guidance ("should") oriented with more freedom given to the engineer to customize a solution to a particular problem. The NB had a representative on the PCC-SCRT for a while, but he left a few years ago and has not been replaced. This is unfortunate... It would be good for PCC-SCRT to have NB input on PCC issues on a routine basis. The added perspective would be valued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back