Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NBIC Repair Name plate 1

Tim Fabing

Petroleum
Oct 11, 2024
US
Question regarding NBIC code. I have information from 2 sources 1 being my AI obviously I would follow my AI but wanted to ask the question. On a vessel repair name plate NBIC states the name plate must be adjacent to the original manufactures stamping/plate. Does this require welding to the vessel itself in our instance it is on a cargo tank trailer with a coupler frame are we ok to weld it to the frame. I ask because it is SA517E and requires PWHT I feel this is a waste of time if not required. I was told I could tack weld it to the vessel but I don't feel that is accurate. Any help would be appreciated. I searched few things but didn't find a thread sorry if this has been asked before.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't read through the latest version of the NBIC code but I've seen many Repairs performed in the past where the contractor just stamped the company name/"R" stamp number/Date directly onto the vessel in the vicinity of the existing name plate without attaching a new name plate.

Another option would be to weld your NBIC name plate bracket onto the existing ASME name plate bracket. This would be a non-Code weld so no PWHT required.

I also would recommending putting the nameplate/stamping on the actual pressure boundary, not on the frame. Since the frame is non-Code it could be modified/repaired at some point in the future by a non-stamp-holder and the record of your Repair/Alteration would be lost.

-Christine

The material is typically 1/4" or less for our industry so we can not stamp it as far as I remember from code there is a min were stamping is not allowed. The current Name plate they do not leave any moor on the pad it has so that would not be an option either unfortunately. I do see your point with having it on another frame if it was in an accident the repair shop it ends up with would have to relocate it to the new frame. It maybe best to just weld to the shell in the end just adds a lot of additional manhours to the job due to the Temper bead procedure we are required to use I can not place any repairs as routine so if I have a 2" CRACK I am required to weld a name plate on 🤷🏻‍♂️

If this is a Section VIII Division 1 vessel you are allowed to attached non-pressure parts using fillet welds with a throat size of up to 1/2" without having to perform PWHT per Note (b)(3)(c) in Table UCS-56-1.

-Christine

Back