Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NC files for NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohanlal0488

Structural
Jun 26, 2020
ZA
Hi Guys

We currently use NX for the modelling of pontoons, which may not be the most elegant tool for the job but it fits into our data management system.

We do use Tekla in another team within our office, which is a very effective tool for modelling structures (which is essentially what our pontoons are). Tekla is able to create a NC files which many fabricators use, the issue is that the NX drawings are taken by fabricators and a new model developed (using Tekla or something similar) so that they can get NC files and drawings which is in a format they work work with

Is there anyway that NX can develop NC files? Has anyone had to deal with a similar scenario?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NC programming from the solid models is one of NX's strong points. I was doing it over 30 years ago with Unigraphics.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

In fact, Unigraphics, the precursor to NX, was the first true integrated CAD/CAM system where the generation of the NC tool paths were done directly from the CAD model, be it a wireframe, surface or solid model. The company I worked for installed a Unigraphics CAD/CAM system in 1977 and used it for both the production of engineering Drawings and NC tapes for the machine shop.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

As you can see from the answers above, yes it is possible.
You just need all the licenses for the different CAM modules in NX. And the correct postprocessors of course.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

I wonder if OP's NC-files are what we, ingrown NX dudes, think...
Can you explain what a pontoon is and the purpose of it ?
( - if Tekla is better to design these, it's probably not pontoons for aircraft or small boats.)
- A NC file from NX normally contains the cutter path for a tooling machine such as a mill or a lathe.
This request might be "cut lists för beams"? ( -which Tekla probably excels in producing)

Regards,
Tomas

Pretty sure what Toost has written is correct. We've got a customer who's had a program written to export NC files from NX for use in their CNC laser that cuts profile stock like beams and tube.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4 to NX CR with almost every MR (18versions)

Thank you for all replies

I have managed to do some research in the topic from everyone's replies.
To be honest due to NX's functionality it seems like the task may not be as easy as it is on Tekla, as a big part of the pontoons consist of structural sections and standardized connections based on code.

@Toost

Sorry I can't share any pictures due to IP policies, don't want to get myself in trouble.
It is essentially a steel structure that floats on water with a pump set on it.
Basically used for de-watering purposes but it also has a number of independent structures to it like walkways to the shoreline and crawl beams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back