Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NCEES FE Mechanical Exam Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcleblanc12

Mechanical
May 7, 2014
CA
I'm a Canadian Professional Engineer who will be challenging the NCEES FE Mechanical Exam in the near future.

I'm looking into buying a book to prepare myself for this exam since I graduated from University way back in 2005 so it's been a while since I've looked at a lot of this material.

I've found the following 2 books by Michael R. Lindeburg:

- FE Review Manual: Rapid Preparation for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, 3rd Edition (2010)
Is this one for the Mechanical exam?

- FE Mechanical Review Manual (2014)
Is this book the same as the first one I mentioned?

I've also found a book by Davin Goldenberg:

- FE Mechanical Exam Prep 2024-2025 published in 2023
Is this one better than the Lindeburg books or should I stick to Lindeburg?

If anyone knows which one I should get please let me know since the price varies depending on which one you go with. Also, I can get some used copies for fairly cheap, are the older editions just as good or should I get the latest and greatest?

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Marc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Lindeburg books are good reference material and have lots of good questions. However in the past they were more useful since the test was open book and you could bring your copy - now all (most?) states have switched to computer based training and the only reference guide is the NCEES FE exam reference guide.

In addition to doing practice tests and whatnot, highly recommend getting used to navigating their reference manual and finding things quickly via PDF since that's all you have now.

I’ve downloaded and printed the NCEES reference manual and will read through it. Based on what you’ve said I presume the Lindeburg book is also a good idea to get. I’m also presuming that it shouldn’t be critical to get the latest edition (3rd Edition). If so, I have found a 2nd hand copy of the 2nd Edition pretty cheap which should do the trick. I’ll also do the NCEES practice exam once I’ve studied the Lindeburg book and the reference manual. Thanks for the info.

Just one more question, do they let you bring in a printed copy of the reference manual or do you have to use the PDF version during the test?

I am also taking the FE exam soon, I plan on using a PDF to study so I can be more prepared for searching through it during the exam. Goodluck!

Freshly graduated please bear with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back