Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nd@YAG, Gas byproduct Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGreen

Mechanical
Dec 12, 2002
GB
I currently use a Nd:YAG for welding ST/ST components. I experience a deposit of a black powder like substance on the components afer welding. This can vary depending on the direction the shield gas (ARGON-Pure)is applied in but is ever present to some degree. Has anyone had similiar experiences and if they have, how can you eradicate this problem, if at all?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm predominantly welding two types of Stainless Steel.

Stainless AISI316L welded to same material and also AISI316L welded to AISI304

Cheers

I've always understood that this fine black powder is finely divided material that has vapourised off the weld pool and subsequently condensed.

The amount of deposition is dependant on the joint geometry. With a simple butt weld in two flat components, there should be little or no "soot" deposit.

With a corner weld, where there is a vertical surface close to the weld area, then there will be a heavy deposit of "soot" on the vertical surface.

This is true even when welding in a completely inert atmosphere such as would be encountered in a glove-box.

The upside is that this stuff vipes off easily.

Thanks LaserExp, yes,unfortunately the orientation of the job provides an overhang above the weld area which is the predominant area where the black residue is deposited. Efforts will continue to erradicate residue!

Cheers

FGreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back