NDT for a Steel Skid per Section V

Status
Not open for further replies.

H Cameron

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2016
CA
Hi guys,

We have a steel structure as a skid. Which techniques and criteria we have to follow as per Section V for NDT inspection.
In which per of the code I can find it?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first question should be, what code are you manufacturing it too?
The second question is, what materials are you manufacturing it from?
And the third would be, what intended service?
Section V only gives inspection certification and procedural requirements. Only the manufacturing code, material requirements and service conditions could point to inspection methods and acceptance required.

Hi ledon

1- This is a structure of beams, columns and plates, welding performed shall be done as per ASME Sec. IX. We have a note that NDT shall be per Section V.
2- Material is Carbon Steel, A36/44W
3- It’s a skid with platforms, ladders, catch basins, grating with overall dimension 40’ x 10’

I want to know in this case if section V force us to do any specific test? if yes which one? And per which clause?

Thanks

Section V in ASME B&PV Code provides requirements for qualification of NDT procedures, method and personnel. As mentioned in a previous post above, the requirements for use of a particular NDT method, and acceptance criteria are not found in Section V, they are either developed by the Design Engineer or from a design code or code of construction.

In your case, you should be using AISC or other relevant standard for structural steel design/construction.

Thanks metengr ,

And for this ”qualification of NDT procedures, method and personnel” per section V, what we have to do as a manufacturer? I have to calculate the cost and time.

Thanks

Your inspection company should have procedures qualified IAW ASME V. As the manufacturer, you are required to review and verify those procedures are compliant with your needs.

As metengr stated the actual types, number and acceptance criteria of inspections required, (if above the general requirements of the fabrication codes)must be specified by the design engineers.

So far you have stated the qualification requirements of personnel and procedure (section V & IX) but not what manufacturing code you should be working to.

Thanks ledon,

The specification just say "the design, construction will comply with relevant AWS/CSA/ANSI/ASME Standards"

for WPS/PQR, and Welding Cert. CWB W59.3

Unless this is an in-house project and you are the designer / manufacturer /end user, the customer must choose a manufacturing code. It should not be left to the manufacturer to decide which code best suits the designers intent. I suggest you go back to your customer for clarification. Otherwise any and all risk/responsibility is yours alone.

H Cameron said:
The specification just say "the design, construction will comply with relevant AWS/CSA/ANSI/ASME Standards"

This sounds like your client has not done his homework, and wants the fabricator to intuit his needs. If so, you definitely need to get this straightened out. Make the client be specific, or offer what you would like to work to, and let 'em agree or reject it.

H Cameron, this is, unfortunately, a common situation you will have to get used to dealing with.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Usually, not always, steel structures used to support piping assemblies, i.e., pipe hangers, etc. and associated vessels are designed and constructed in accordance with AISC, which in turn refers to AWS D1.1 for welding the structural steel.

Best regards - Al

HCameron,
You find the AWS/CSA/ANSI/ASME Standard with the least required NDT and the least stringent NDT acceptance criteria and follow that.
The client / customer gets exactly what he asked for.[smile]
Regards,
Shane

Steel structures in Canada are usually NOT welded in accordance with ASME IX with NDT to ASME V. Structures, whether they are used in buildings or as non-building structures (that's what we'd typically consider a "skid" to be, if it has grating and guardrail or handrail), are usually welded and inspected in accordance with the requirements of the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) and the associated CSA standards.

The client listed CSA in their list of "relevant standards". They are a client who is buying both design AND fabrication services by the sound of it. They are not, or should not be, expected to be knowledgeable enough when ordering something like this to identify just exactly WHICH rules, codes and standards apply to that structure in their jurisdiction. If this project is going to be installed in Canada, and especially if it will support people above grade or support things that, should they fall, might kill or injure people at grade, you're on the hook to get your company and its welders into compliance with CSA W47.1. Merely having welders and procedures qualified under ASME IX is insufficient, though it will be a good start for sure.

In some instances, compliance with AWS D1.1 may be acceptable, but there may be additional requirements for inspections etc. required by the Canadian jurisdiction. I've never bought a non-building structure for a Canadian installation fabricated outside Canada, so I just don't know- others may chime in.

Moltenmetal
Please correct me if I'm wrong... I haven't worked to CWB standards for a very long time. But, doesn't the CSA standards require the designer to specify the manufacturing code in the design specification, the same as AWS and ASME? As an example AWS D1.1 para. 1.4; Responsibilities. A fabrication shop does exactly that... fabricate to the design specification provided by the customer.

Not my area of expertise, ledon, so I hope someone else with more specific knowledge will chime in. I do know that structural welders are qualified to CWB-certified procedures here, and structural welding requires the firm to comply with CSA W47.1. The procedure and welder qualifications are different than those required for ASME IX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back