Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NDT help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhewes

Industrial
Aug 16, 2002
US
I work as a Quality Engineer for a gasoline nozzle producer and one of our biggest problems is pin holes. We have used X-ray in the past but these pin holes are so small they cannot typically be seen by X ray. They show up in both die casted and sand casted product. Is there a better method than X-ray?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes! There is. Depending on the material of construction, liquid dye penetrant (PT)or magnetic particle (MT)examination would be better suited for those discontinuities, cheaper and faster. As long as the surface is not too porous, PT would be my first choice.

The APIGUY....

On our die casted parts Mag particle was my first choice but it is expensive and would add an operation to our current set up. Our sandcasted parts have a rough surface.

I'm not too familiar with your product, is your issue leakage, the discontinuities themselves, or both? If leakage is your sole issue I would consider a pneumatic test using a soap bubble solution to check for leakage.
For a rough surface, if you go the PT route, go for water washable, cleaner and faster. Hope this helps.

Regards

We have had great success using Helium Leak Testing with such applications. It is quick and easy while being able to locate and quantify any leak. If you provide your general location then I could put you in touch with a local contact.

The problem is we need a means to check inter-chamber nozzle bodies prior to manufacturing without adding time to the operation.

Trust me on this one. Investigate Helium Leak Detection. There are companies out there that can provide a system to do exactly what you need. Let me know where you are so I can direct you accordingly.
Helium Leak Testing is to NDE what DUC Tape is to workholding, an incredible little unappreciated resource.

The closest solution provider to you that I know of is in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Call Mario Borg of Cryogenic Repair Services Inc. at (905) 838-0328. He has done a lot of work in Helium Leak Testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back