Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC 330.10(A)(12) Single Conductor MC Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmagbelusi

Electrical
Feb 25, 2013
US
I placed this thread in the wrong forum previously.

NEC 330.10(A)(12) states: "Where single conductor cables are used, all phase conductors and, where used, the neutral conductor, shall be grouped together to minimized induced voltage on the sheath."

I'm having trouble interpreting this.

Lets say I'm powering 3 phase delta equipment. I decide to run each phase in a single MC cable. Does this article prohibit such use (in other words, I MUST put all 3 phases inside the same cable)?

Or does this article simply state that my (3) single-conductor cables must have their metal sheaths touching each other throughout the run to prevent voltage build up between cables?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The intention of this is clause is to run then within the same conduit. I believe that this is only important if you are running metal conduit because the AC line can induce a voltage in a metal sheath. When all the phases are together (along with the neutral to carry the unbalanced load) there is a much reduced possibility of inducing a voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back