Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NEC 706.30(B) for BESS systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US
I’m looking at 706.30(B) and trying to determine requirements for over current protection on cables between a batteries and an inverter system.

The way I read and understand it is that the size of the cables and overcurrent device is based on the inverter rating and what the inverter is capable of drawing from the batteries? It is not dependent on the rating of the batteries themselves.

For example if the battery module had a maximum capacity of 1000A but the inverter that it was feeding through was rated for only 500A then as I understand it the cable and protective device would be based off the 500A inverter rating at 125%.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have the following opinion for you consideration
"...if the battery module had a maximum capacity of 1000A but the inverter that it was feeding through was rated for only 500A then as I understand it the cable and protective device would be based off the 500A inverter rating at 125%".
1. I have the same understanding based on 706.30 (A) (3) inverter input circuit current ...
2. The cable (amperecity) and protective device current rated at 125% is NOT mentioned in 706.30. ; are in order, reference in other parts.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back