NEC Allowed Grounding Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco_HueHueHue

Electrical
Apr 8, 2018
CA
Hello,

I tried to search Google for this answer, but I always end up falling on websites explaining either how grounding works or why grounding is important...

But, my question is the following: What methods are good to ground a junction box housing splices for multiple 480V feeders in the USA?
I am working on a project in the USA and noticed that the junction box is completely floating.
No grounding bar connected to the main ground...​
All cables coming in and out of the box are TC cable not running inside of a cable tray or metallic conduit, they are only running on custom supports fixed with zip ties...​

For your information (context), I am Canadian. The Canadian Code is a bit different in a way that all cables do have a bare copper conductor inside every cable to maintain ground continuity at every feeders.
See page 14/60 at the following link to see what type of cable i am used to work with :
I am not 100% familiar to the NEC, but i do notice that feeders ground continuity appears to be achieve either by:
The ground wire running along the cable tray your TC cables are running in (bonding from the junction box to the tray ground cable)​
The metallic electrical conduits themselves the TC cables are running within​

Main difference between USA and Canada appears to be that Canada requires a ground continuity path for every feeders while USA appears to allow a single ground continuity path for a bunch of feeders as long as it is sized for the most powerful feeder of the bunch and the upstream power source.

That would explain why in a USA catalogue (UL) I would only find that type of TC cable like on page 36/80 :
Anybody in the USA ever used TC cables which have a ground conductor inside of it like in Canada to make ground continuity happen?

Since it is impossible in this project to run the cables in electrical conduits, I assume that I will need to bring a properly size ground wire from an bare ground conductor of the main ground system to the junction box and everything would be fine...

P.S.: I know TC cables should not be running unprotected, I already know that :)
For your info, this installation is weird and within a hydro generator/turbine bulb unit. Space is limited, there is lot of piping and the shape of the bulb frame makes trays/conduits almost impossible to be installed in a proper way. I already have touched this subject with our client and this is not the essence of this question :D

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts and comments on this.
Coco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back