Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC Classification vs. Mil-SPec

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldfieldguy

Electrical
Sep 20, 2006
US
Our measurement group (natural gas pipeline) is looking at purchasing a videoscope (borescope) for use in inspecting the internals of various parts of their equipment.

Their candidate is shown to be "MIL-STD-810G, METHOD 511.6, Procedure I (operation in an explosive atmosphere test)".

I'm the area (five states) electrical guy and I'm accustomed to evaluating equipment in terms of area classification in terms of NEC. My general feeling is that the equipment meeting military standard will also be suitable for our situation where metering equipment may retain varying amounts of natural gas when opened for inspection.

Has anybody got any insight into this issue? My corporate safety and engineering departments haven't been much help.

old field guy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well here's the applicable standard
and here's one manufacturer's opinion of testing v's certification
By chance it isn't one of these boroscopes? They seem to have been tested to the MIL standard and certified by UL. Disclaimer - I work under the European ATEX directives, so I have an interest in the North American standards but I'm not an expert on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back