Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC V850 series Opcodes/Protocol for Flash Writing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myndex

Electrical
Jan 14, 2005
US
Hello,

I am in the process of repairing some legacy equipment that uses the V850/SB1 series of mpu from NEC (now Renesas)

The device is the UPD70F3033B - and in the situation the on chip flash has become corrupted and needs to be reflashed (self program will not function). I have an appropriate (known to be good) HEX image to upload.

Various representatives at Renesas have said I could use the Minicube2 (Flash Programmer) to do this, so I got one - and now that I do have it I find that they were all wrong, as the Minicube2 will not read any PRM or FP5 parameter file (I assume as the Minicube2 does not have a 7.8V output for Vpp).

I do not have access to a PG FP4 or FP5.

I have a 7.8V source on the systems board, for driving Vpp, as well as easy access to the UART and the CSIO pins.

What I don't have is any documentation on the structure of PRM files, no opcodes or protocols for accessing the on chip flash for programming with a programmer. I have been unable to find such documentation anywhere.

Soooo, I need one of the following and I am hoping someone can help:

1) Documentation on PRM files for NEC MPU devices so I can mod them, with the idea that I'd use the FLMD0 output to drive the 7.8V source to pulse the Vpp pin as needed.

OR

2) Documentation on the opcodes and protocols for accessing the flash memory for erase/program/verify via CSIO or the UART. I can then use a generic programmer and utility to upload the HEX file.

SO: Can anyone help? Anyone have a list of the opcodes for communicating and erase/program/verify of the flash memory area of this chip? Any roadmaps of these PRM files? Perhaps a similar *single voltage* version that WILL load into the Minicube2 GUI (wherein the FLMD0 output acts the same as the Vpp output would for the chip in question, and then I just use the FLMD0 to drive the 7.8V circuit that is on board the device uder repair).

THANKS for any input anyone might have!

Andy

Andy Somers
Myndex Technologies Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back