Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Necessary to remove pavement striping before paving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEPEJack

Civil/Environmental
Nov 13, 2013
US
The roads on our project will be constructed at the beginning of a multi-year phased construction project. The owner has opted to place the final pavement lift at the end of the project (probably 3 years after the first pavement lift is placed). We are going to stripe the roads with the initial pavement lift. Striping will be glass-bead, non-thermoplastic paint.

Is it necessary to remove this striping prior to placing the final overlay? My hunch is that it's okay not to - cleaning the road of debris and a good tack coat will provide sufficient bond between the initial pavement lift and final overlay lift. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On the subject of pavement striping, I often see cracking along the edges of the lines. The lines are white, and the asphalt is black, so I assume it is thermal cracking. This is on relatively thin layers, e.g. rural roads, sports courts. Is this from using inappropriate coatings, or what?

hokie66....you are correct. It is thermal related, but mostly a weathering issue from differential heating. The asphalt volatizes through its life, more in the early part than laters. The stripes are paint....they are also white or yellow, so the absorb less heat. Further, they protect the asphalt underneath so that it gets less weathering than that surrounding the stripes. Result is shrinkage of the asphalt from the weathering, causing a separation or crack at the stripe interface.

So are there solutions to this problem? Are there better materials which minimize this problem, or it is just inevitable that this will happen with time?

I don't know of any solutions thus far. Many materials have been tried, but the resistance to traffic abrasion wins out over the shrinkage issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back