Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need A little Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internkid

Industrial
Jul 30, 2008
First off, this is my first thread and i'm new here so if this is a bad place to post these questions it would be much appreciated if you pointed me in the right direction, thanks.

I'm new a this manufacturing company (not quite sure if i'm allowed to name it on the internet so i won't), essentially an intern, and my boss has told me to learn as much as i can about piping and flanges. I've tried to do this but so far the internet has been only a little helpful and i can't help feeling that my knowledge is a little incomplete. And being that i have not even entered college yet i really am a little lost on the subject.
So basically i'm just asking what is the basic things i should research, like what is the most essential information on which to build on and what is most important to know?
I noticed when i signed up that it discouraged helping lazy students, if thats what you consider me than feel free not to answer but if you want to help that would be great.
Oh and what is the biggest differences between welded and seamless pipe? (i honestly don't know if this is basic stuff or not)
P.S. any internet sites or books that can help me get started would also be cool. ThAnks-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Piping and fluid mechanics engineering forum378 satisfies your quest fully. Just go through all the posts, right from the beginning, and you will be an enlightened soul. You will get links to many useful sites.

My suggestion would be to visit a pipe manufacturing plant. Apart from getting knowledge, it is also fun to observe the process.

Good luck,

What quark said and get catalogs.

Some company catalogs are truly goldmines of information.

IMHO (In my humble opinion) your case is significantly different than a student looking for homework help.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back