Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need a method to measure output of water wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatmon

Specifier/Regulator
Aug 17, 2009
US
Have a patent, made a model (1:12) and need a method of testing the output. There is a water testing facility at a nearby university that we plan to use, but need some form of machine to measure the power generated at given speeds. I am sure differing load conditions could increase or decrease the operational efficiencies, but don't know where to begin.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the lead. After googling torque sensor, and seeing 3 to 6 thousand dollars, I am now googling torque sensor rentals.
(I wonder how Da Vinci did all this)

The thing you are looking for is a brake dynanometer. At its simplest it is a leather strap and a weight pan.

This book will give you some hints

Stronger Than a Hundred Men: A History of the Vertical Water Wheel By Terry S. Reynolds

However, these days we'd just plug it into an electric motor.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Since it's just 1/12 scale, hook it up to an alternator and measure the output. If you want to do it really cheaply, dump the power into a load resistor, and measure the voltage with a voltmeter. Then use P=V^2/R to find the power.

If it is not invasive, what is the actual measurements of the 1:12 prototype?
Diameter?
Axis?
Foil Depth?

At 74th year working on IR-One2 - - UHK PhD - - -

I am about a month from releasing the overall design to the public, and would like to keep it offline for a little longer. I will post then, but for now we are going to just try and scale up the numbers that we get from the model that we built.
Thanks and I will make it a point to come back and post some numbers that can compare actuals to model, formulas to reality.

The use of a brake dynamometer as posted by GregLocock is the way to go. Lookup Prony Brake for information. For RPM measurement a simple mechanical speed indicator will do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back