Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a version of Visual Urban (HY-22) or similar that runs on 64 bit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej67

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2009
US
I just discovered that the FHWA's old "Visual Urban (HY-22) Urban Drainage Design Program" doesn't run on 64 bit machines. (or at least the installer won't)

Anybody got something else they've been using that's free? I'd rather not shell out the cash for StormCAD or similar if I can help it, for small projects.

Thanks in advance.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried to run the installer under admin rights as an xp version? I have not run into this yet as we are still on XP at work. I have on my home comp, however. I was able to right click the *.exe of an installer for an older game for my kid and it worked. Keep us posted as new comps role out at work with win7 we will need a work around as well.

Don't think that would work, but I did try this:

And it worked. It's supposedly a permanent work-around for all old legacy software, basically creates a complete installation of Windows XP in a little window that you can pull up and "install" software in, complete with it's own desktop interface. Sorta like VPNing in to another computer, except the computer is a virtual computer on your own PC.

I'm still interested in knowing if anyone else has a free / government supported software recommendation to run gutter spread calcs though.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

From HEC-22 eq. 4-2:

Gutter Spread: T = [(Qn)/(K[sub]u[/sub]S[sub]x[/sub][sup]1.67[/sup]S[sub]L[/sub][sup]0.5[/sup])][sup]0.375[/sup]

No charge.

beej67, you can download the Hydraulic Toolbox from the FHWA website...it will complete a curb gutter analysis as well.

SWMM5 is available for free from the EPA website. Very powerful software that also does sediment and pollutant loading analysis if you have time to learn it. It exports files that are used in other EPA modeling software. I haven't learned it yet but it is on my to do list.

Does SWMM5 do HEC-22 based pavement drainage? I thought it was only for larger stuff.

I'm an experienced XP-SWMM user, and might crack out EPA-SWMM one day if I'm so inclined, but sometimes you need something simple.

I haven't used SWMM5 yet, or HEC-22 so I can't compare them. Our senior storm engineer recommended SWMM5 to me on a project so it must do smaller basins. I normally use StormShed which is (SBUH) or TR-55 model. I think there is a link to a free TR-55 version on the FEMA Approved Software Website. I don't know if that version will work as a 64 bit.

I have been able to load a 32 bit software program into Windows 7 by installing it in the 32 bit program file directory. They will default to the 64 bit program files when trying to install. I just copied it from the 64 bit directory into the 32 bit directory and erased the 64 bit directory files and it worked. Besure to change the installed shortcut to the right directory. In Windows 7 I think Program Files (x86) is the 64 bit directory and Program Files is the 32 bit directory. If it installs I would double check your answers against old work to make sure it is indeed giving you the correct answer.

beej67,

Yes you can complete pavement drainage design, similar to HEC-22 in SWMM, however it is a bit of a time consuming process depending on the size of your model. I can go into further details on how to set up the model if you need. Let me know.

Ryb01

Nah, don't sweat it. If it's like XP-SWMM then using it for simple pavement drainage is probably a bit like driving an 18-Wheeler to the corner store to buy a pack of Doritos. Good to know it can do it, but I doubt I'll be needing that sort of functionality. The only people who really check gutter spread are municipalities on pipe charts, and if you try and explain gradually varied flow analysis to them, their heads explode. I have a hard enough time getting them to accept detention pond designs done in SWMM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back