Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a video card that works well with SW for <$100

Status
Not open for further replies.

tluxon

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2001
US
I have a computer that's going to be passed down in a few months. In the meantime, I want to get a video card that's going to be better than the ATi Radeon 32MB AGP card that's in there now. Do some of you guys have suggestions of cards that work well with SW2003 for under $100?

Cheers,

Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tluxon,

You have a piece of software that cost you $5000US, and you are tying a save a hundred bucks on a video card?

SolidWorks on a crummy video card is not pretty.

JHG

tluxon,

I definetly agree with what optech said.

If i had to, I wouldn't go much lower than a used nVidia Quadro 2 Pro, sometimes called a ELSA GLoria 2. They are about 2 years old, still a very good card, and can be had for $100 to $150 if you look.

Mr. Pickles

I'm not sure you read my whole post or else I wasn't clear enough. This computer is not going to be used for SolidWorks after a few short months so it's not going to get a top notch video card.

I missed your point regarding the $5000 to $100 comment. Many people pay more for one thing and less for the other. For example, since I bought a $50K Suburban, 55" Mitsubishi HDTV, two ReplayTVs, added a sunroom and new kitchen to our house, I'm eating homemade sandwiches for lunch. That's my choice - but I'm getting some of the best homemade sandwiches ever.

That said, I'm certain that there's something "cheap" that's still better than the old Radeon card that's in it.

Any takers?

Tim

Ahhhh, since you said:

Do some of you guys have suggestions of cards that work well with SW2003 for under $100?

We figured you were still going to run SW. Since you are not, I don't know what card to suggest since you didn't say what you (someone) would be doing with it. Playing games or just word/internet stuff?

i think for under $50-$60 you can get a nice GForce 2 (MX400), also made by nVidia, which comes with 64mb. Nice card and I think it has TV out/in too.

Mr. Pickles

Heres the soulution.

Buy a Geforce2 card of any kind. You get the most bang for the buck with the mx series.

search these forums for "quadro hack". The procedures described will give you a proffessional grade video card at 50$.

if you have any problems, just post and I´ll help you out.

Plenty of love, Mindnumb, Norway, Oslo.

In any event using SW the video card and the RAM are the 2 places you don't want to go cheap on. You will pay a price for it.

1) Crashing
2) Slow performance

The video RAM on a GC is alright but you need a card that supports OpenGL with SW. There are cards out there that support OpenGL but are not compatible when working with SW. I don't have any examples that come to mind, but I just talked with somone about this just the other day.

I use a GF2 Ultra 64MB (supports OGL w SW) and I also use the (as Mr. Pickles put it) old Elsa Gloria2 card and between them both I don't have many problems.

Both are good cards and both at cheap prices now. Question is...how long will they last before they are out-dated and I have to upgrade... IDK?...but soon.

Best Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

I couldn't find any details on the "quadro hack". My VAR said that it had to do with soldering in some jumper but he didn't know exactly. This sounds intriguing - can anybody help?

Thanks,

Tim

Hoy !!!!

You dont need to solder anything !!!

download rivatuner from here:

Dovnload Nvidias standard geforce drivers. ( I found the 30.82 to be the best ones at work, but you can always experiment a little)

unpack the drivers with winzip or something.
rename the the unpacked files like nv4_disp.dl_ to nv4_disp.dll ( i have a bat file that does it for you)

use the utility supplied with rivatuner to patch the drivers

use rivatuner to install the nvstrap driver. Check the "force quadro capabilities" checkbox.

restart.

install nvidia drivers. I think you have to instal regular drivers first, then reinstall after by going throug "settings , control panel, system, hardware,device manager, display adapters, driver, update driver, display list, have disk, point to patched driver directory.

If you have problems with renaming, or patching, post your email, an I will send you renaming bat file or already patched driver. No prob.

should work if your mail system handles it.

Best regards MiNdNuMb

Has anyone tried this hack on NT? It doesn't say anything about NT Support.

Thanks in advance

Ray Havermahl
Designer
Independent engineering labs

Really dont know, might possibly work.

if you are running NT and hav a nvidia card, just try it out, you can always switch back. should not tace you much time :)

The 32meg Elsa Gladiac video card has worked extreamly well for me (You may have to hit the rebuild button more than if you were using a better card but it works well.

the best card for about $40 is Geforce4 mx440 of any make. I musing it & it is better than even geforce2 pro.

tluxon,

Not to split hairs but regarding your statement "I missed your point regarding the $5000 to $100 comment. Many people pay more for one thing and less for the other. For example, since I bought a $50K Suburban, etc.etc.etc..."

Maybe this analogy will clear it up. When you bought your Suburban, did you "cheap out" and not get a radio, or not get air conditioning, or decide that oil changes just aren't that important? I doubt it. The point was that to get the most out of your purchase (i.e. Solidworks), probably requires that you get all the appropriate hardware (i.e. you didn't buy a base model Suburban and expect it to have all of the features of a $50K model)

Clear as mud?
Ken

p.s. As far a lunch goes, even if you spent $7 per day, at 30 days that's only $210/month, which most likely doesn't even cover the Suburban paymet, so I hope you are going "cheap" in other areas as well to pay for all your toys you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back