Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need advice on chosing a wing and tail plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRT

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2001
US
I am building a remote controlled model plane. My wing choice is S1223 and tail plane is M06-13-182. Can anyone see a problem with these 2 being on the same aircraft, or should I be using a symmetrical tail plane?? If so, can anyone advise a tailplane choice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally, unless the model is a high performance glider.
lifting surface stabilizers are not used and not needed.
A flat stab and elevator is totally sufficiant except in a case where a scale model is being built for judging considerations. A symetrical camber stabilizer is O.K. for looks, and will add performance to a pattern model. Semi- symetrical stabs are for gliders and will destabilize the performance of a motorized model.

JRT,

I am guessing that you are designing a plane for a heavy lift competition. More than likely, you will be using a conventional configuration, which means that for stability, the horizontal stabilizer will be generating downforce, rather than positive lift. To reduce drag, you should endeavor to get the center of gravity positioned so that the downforce is not excessive, since induced drag from the stabilizer will increase with the amount of lift it generates, whether the lift is up or down. Beyond that, since the hor. stab. will not be generating much lift, it is not a big win for it to have any camber. It will produce less drag if it has a clean, symmetrical airfoil shape, rather than a simple flat plate. If you have time on your hands, and are able to predict the typical downforce you will need and the airspeed, you could choose an airfoil section which produces that lift at that speed at a zero angle of attack, and zero elevator deflection. This would ideally be your lowest drag choice, but since you are already minimizing the lift the stab. needs to generate, it is a small gain. Thinner is better, within reason. Lighter is always better, if it doesn't break.

Good luck,

vortexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back