Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on learning Algor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryo1

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2003
US
Our FEA design engineer left for another company. We found our license allowed us to use a network license with Algor. We are looking for advice on training material and help bringing us up to speed with Algor. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to They have several free "webcasts" which can give you a good overview. There are also quite a few tutorials. They also offer classes at about $1500/class depending on what type of training you're looking for. Depending on where you are located, your service rep can probably put you in touch with another user of the software. You can call Algor at 800-482-5467 and, if your license is current, they can offer some additional possibilities...even if it isn't, your service rep will often still talk to you in hopes that you will renew your license.

Garland

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the webcast from Algor. I don't think $1500 for a webcast is feasible. We're looking at CosmosWorks as a replacement to Algor. Easier to use. We want to concentrate on learning the FEA anaylsis not the interface.

I wouldn't pay $1500 for the webcast. The classes are worth it, though. The webcasts are free, but not terribly useful for actually learning the software.

I wouldn't say CosmosWorks is easier to use unless you are already very capable with SolidWorks and you are only doing linear analyses. CosmosWorks is a good software package, but I would suggest that learning FEMAP is probably better if you are starting from the ground up. FEMAP interfaces with many analytical engines. There are some translation issues if you are using some higher order elements, but they are easy enough to overcome. If you are just doing linear analyses, and you already know SolidWorks, then you're probably right to proceed with CosmosWorks. Bottom line, I've tested Algor against MSCNastran, NENastran and Cosmos for linear static, dynamic, and non-linear analyses on some fairly complicated models and received answers within 3%.

Just consider that there is a learning curve for everything. If you already have Algor, it really isn't that difficult to pick up and the Algor technical staff is usually pretty helpful.

Thanks GBor. We are SolidWorks savvy here. Algor was the sole domain of the guy who left. So Algor to use could have just come out of the box yesterday. Our knowledge would be the same. Linear anaylses is the majority of our work. ComosWorks can only do linear anaylsis?

Cosmos can do virtually anything that Algor, NENastran, any of the low to mid-line general FEA packages can do. Cosmos inside of SolidWorks becomes an analytical overhead problem (both want a great deal of your computers time). I'm not certain, to be completely honest, what Cosmos has integrated into SolidWorks, but they are owned by the same company, so it is only a matter of time. I suspect that it can do any type of analysis in SolidWorks, but that hardware limitations would slow anything more complicated than linear analysis to a crawl.

Algor has a SolidWorks interface, by the way, but the problem I've run into with any of these "FEA Inside of CAD"-type products is hardware limitations. CAD programs generally want a great deal of RAM and FEA programs need as much as they can get for the solver. If you are running relatively small models and you have a very capable computer, then this isn't really an issue.

I prefer to build my CAD files, export them as IGES or some other useful format, pull them into the FEA engine and operate from there, whether I'm using SolidWorks with Cosmos or AutoDesk products with Algor.

The exception is FEMAP with NENastran. FEMAP is a pretty slick modeler built specifically for FEA. I'm not a huge fan because there is some complexity to dig through for someone who was kinda' set in my ways the first time I picked up NENastran, but in the long run, I could manage.

Cryo1,

I've thought about this a little more over the weekend. You should really contact both Algor and COSMOS. Ask them how many people on their immediate staff understand the type of analysis that you generally do, particularly if it is advanced dynamics or non-linear...you usually leave behind the general resellers of SolidWorks on this one. Then ask who you contact for sales, who for service, who tech support, and who for complaints. I believe Algor will point you to the same person located in Pittsburgh. COSMOS will first send you to the reseller (which is a SolidWorks reseller...not a COSMOS reseller, generally) who may or may not understand the FEA, so they will send you to someone else, who may, in turn, forward you on.

Based on some limited research, there do appear to be some limitations in COSMOSWorks, but I'm not clear on what they are. You need to ask COSMOS about this.

I also wanted to clear up one point about Algor training. The $1500 that I quoted is for classes with generally 10 people or less located in some large cities around the coutry. The webcasts, you can get ulimited access for $695, I think. Algor will also do a WebEx so that they can virtually link anywhere...this is often free of charge, and (I truly mean this one) there tech support is some of the best I've ever seen.

If you are on the Coast of the Gulf of Mexico in the US, I can put you in touch with a good reseller for SolidWorks and they do have someone on staff that can handle COSMOS. For Algor, I encourage you to contact Ed Simmons at 800-482-5467. You will get a computer answer at this number, just punch '4' for the company directory and spell the last four letters of his last name...he'll help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back