Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need advice on pursuing phd in Petroleum engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

meulsinas83

Agricultural
Oct 31, 2020
RO
I am petroleum engineer (Not Geologist). But I think there must be lot of geologists/geoscientists here in the group who are in oil and gas (Houston Area or from Texas). Currently, I am in weird situation and need some advice/opinions about my future plan for graduate studies.

I have BS in chemical engineering, MS in Petroleum engineering and around 3 yrs of experience in O&G software company as technical upstream data analyst. I came in country as international student and working on Visa (Oil and Gas one of the toughest to get VISA to internationals).

During my 3 yrs in Houston, I tried to network and look for better opportunities. But, due to downturn from last 6 yrs and employers not willing to sponsor visas, I couldn't get ahead in initial screening or second interviews (where residency status questions were raised). But, I noticed that all Big Oil hires PhDs on Visas. I actually talked to few and they said they can refer me only if I have PhD since I need visa.

Hence, I decided to look for PhD in Petroleum engineering as another option to dive in. I already have research experience in my masters and I know PhD will be 3 times more work than MS. I also feel that my experience in Houston and communicating with professionals and researchers gave me pretty good idea about what is ongoing demand or where industry is heading in terms of research. I am pretty sure that will help me as researcher if I choose to go in PhD program.

However, my question is - how beneficial is PhD in oil and gas (considering I need Visa)?

Also I am not really interested in academia/postdoc as PhD.

This option is always in my mind because, I am looking for next step that can open doors to more employment options with VISA Sponsorship. As of now I dont see any option for visa sponsorship in Oil and gas industry. Also PhD is funded program and I cannot afford MBA. (Also MBA doesn't open any doors for internationals). I am fine to get one step back and be cheap labor for academia for 4-5 yrs if it certainly raises chances of better industry job as scientist in big oil or big service companies.

So I want to ask all the experts or people who have actual exposure or knowledge about their opinions on how big oil hires scientists? how much on avg their salaries? Is it worth to commit for next 4 yrs in PhD in pursuit of stable research scientist career as an international?

I would also like to know any other better plan if anyone has any....

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No one hiring anyone at the moment.

If you're a real person I await a response to prove it. Why list yourself as agriculture???

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back