Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED advice regarding Next move

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrPET

Petroleum
Jun 8, 2015
Hello all

I am new here in this forum and found this an excellent platform to discuss and share our experinces. I am hopeful someone amongst the experienced people here will respond to my query and situation.

I graduated as a Petroleum Engineer in Aug 2013, from a reputable university in Pakistan with flying colors and amongst the top 10 students of my batch.

During my 4 year study at the university, I had always planned to work for an E&P organization as a Petroleum Engineer; preferably in Reservoir. But upon my graduation things did not seem to move as per my plans, owing to poor recruitment rate in my country esp for fresh Petroleum Engineers and specifically in Operator Organizations.

But luckily I was able to get a job very soon and that too abroad; in Saudi Arabia, as a Field Engineer in a services company that provided data transmission services from Well-sites to Head office of the only Operator Giant in KSA. Although this job was not directly related to my Majors or had a fancy career track I decided to go for it explaining myself that something is better than nothing and a bird in hand is worth two in the bushes. The money that I am earning is good enough though.

Now my query is, since this job was only for a temporary basis and was a compromise; I wasn't able to satisfy myself completely with it. Since that time I am trying to make a switch to some other relevant organization or career path but to no avail. If you are getting chances to prove yourself and then failing that is a different story, but if you are not even getting an opportunity, that is what troubles me the most. In light of experience which u guys have, kindly let me know what is best for me now in the current scenario.

Either I should still stick with my current job and wait for something relevant to come up OR I should pursue my Masters Degree now from a university abroad and then come back and try my luck. What will be the chances of landing a better job after that, since apparently I have field experience but no RELEVANT experience. My main objective is to work for an E&P company as a petroleum engineer where I can utilize my Engineering skills. Also if any recommendations for a specific uni or country I should target for my MS, where I can get employment opportunity as well, that will be appreciated.

Looking forward for valuable responses as I am quite worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back