Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need any Explosion Protection Guidance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGBeast42

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2009
US
I hope there is someone out there that can help me with very little information.

Where would I find information on explosion protection? I have installed and sold system with explosion proof material but never dealt with explosion protection.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What:

a) are you storing?
b) are you packaging it?
c) what makes you believe its explosive?
d) how much are you storing or using?
e) is its US Department of Transportation classification?
f) is its physical state?

Answer those questions.

Sorry for the limited information. The GC that contacted me had very little information.

The building will be a 40' X 40' X 12' building at a local landfill. The landfill will be capturing the Methane gas and converting it into a useable from and piping it into an electrical generator. The owner doesn't want to install a sprinkler system for fear of water damage but wants some type of fire protection inside of the building.

At this point it is unclear what their intention is, explosion protection or fire protection, and since I have never dealt with explosion protection I thought it would be a great time to tap this great brain trust.

I hope this clarifies it a little. If I get more information I will pass it on.

You most likely will need both. Explosion protection methods NFPA 68 & 69.
A risk assessment needs to be made as to probability of escaped gas.
Worst case; you'll have a hazardous area and classified as 1-D-2. This will affect all wiring methods and componets inside.
If explosion venting is deemed necessary. Chapter 7 of NFPA 68 will be your guide. Most of the time with gas/vapor venting your largest wall will probably become a vent.

What's the flow rate through the compressor? If its more than 1000 CFM of CH4, your compressor building could be classified as a Group H-2 occupancy, which will require automatic sprinkler protection.

And I am not an advocate of deflagration venting systems. They are a waste of money because you must design it for a condition that results in damage to process equipment. If anyone is in the room when the deflagration occurs, they will be injured and may die - that's a crappy design option. In my world I place far more reliance on mechanical ventilation systems. However, in your case, deflgration venting could possibly be required by the 2006 International Fire Code and International Building Code.

You need a fire protection engineer. We can't do much more on an internet forum.

"The owner doesn't want to install a sprinkler system for fear of water damage but wants some type of fire protection inside of the building."

Gee I wonder what the FD will use to put out the fire then???

How about a roof only and no sides to the building??

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back