Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need balloon if there is only one item in BOM table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siva Mareesan

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2020
IN
Do we need to show balloon for only one item present in BOM table in the drawing as per ASME standard ? Other items are label & they cannot be shown in drawing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Balloons (aka find numbers, item numbers, part numbers) are pretty wide open. They really only apply to assembly type drawings. It sounds like you have a detail drawing. I would say no. You don't need a balloon.

What does your organization require? Everybody does BOMs differently.

Thanks for your reply Jason,

It is a assembly drawing which includes a part and 2 labels.

So totally 3 items in the BOM.

Since the label is purchased outside, it is not shown in drawing.

So my question here is , do I need to show balloon for the part ?

Is there any ASME standard which says we need to show balloon for one single item in the BOM ( when other items can't be shown in drawing ) ,

Hi, Siva:

Yes, you do need a balloon to show the part. You have a BOM with 3 items, 2 of which are hidden. Your BOM needs to have 3 different items even though you chose to make 2 of them invisible.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi, Siva:

Not only you need a balloon for the part, but also you need a note on your drawing to indicate that the other 2 items are hidden.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Jassco,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any ASME standard regarding this?. I need some written standards to circulate this to my team.

Kindly snap a page or paragraph that speaks about this or at least help me with the ASME standard name .

Thanks
Siva M

Siva M,

You mentioned 1 part and 2 labels make up the assembly drawing.
Curious...
1. Are the labels being attached to the part?
2. If so, is there a specific location on the part that they need to be placed?
3. If so, how is that location specified / noted?

Cheers, hatsegal
"Think first"

Hi hatsegal,

Thanks for your reply. Its just a QR Code & Retail label. Regarding the label position, it is located in the part drawing with just a Rectangle box showing the position of the label in the part.

The labels are not shown in drawing.

I agree with Jassco reply " Not only you need a balloon for the part, but also you need a note on your drawing to indicate that the other 2 items are hidden."

I kindly request someone to snap a page or paragraph that speaks about this in the ASME standard.

Thanks
Siva M

Is there a note that tells what that rectangle means?

Does it say, apply just any random label you find on the floor to this location?

One approach that the US Military uses is to not have any balloons at all and just put the actual part number of the item with an arrow to the item, so the label would be "LABEL------>" Because balloons are to let the user have a separate list of items; apparently that is not useful in this circumstance, so this would also work just the same.

So the label is shown? said:
Regarding the label position, it is located in the part drawing with just a Rectangle box showing the position of the label in the part.

Yet for some reason you claim it is not. said:
The labels are not shown in drawing.

Is it Schrodinger's label?

It can't be both shown and not shown at the same time.

Hi, Siva:

3DDave answered your question. You need to look at definition of BOM (Bill Of Material). "ASME - Associated Lists Y14.34" defines what a Bill of Material is. You can also look it up at "assembly drawing views" in ASME Engineering Drawing Practices Y14.100. I read these two standards long time ago, but I don't have copies of them.

The trick is how you get the labels. When you order this part, does it come with labels? If not, then you should not show the labels on this part drawing. The labels belong to an assembly where this part is used. On this assembly model and/or drawing, you need to describe relationship between this part and the labels. It is not appropriate to show the labels on drawing of this part.

If the labels come with the part, then they (labels) are not items. You should not show them in BOM of your assembly.

Best regards,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back