Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need better method of determining solar irradiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountZero

Mechanical
May 15, 2003
CA
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a better way to determine the solar irradiation, at the Earth's surface, than with using ASHRAE's ClearSky Model, which uses a Cn constant to approximate the solar flux?

If you know of any, and are almost as simple to use as the ASHRAE model, I would very much appreciate any sources you could give me.

Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried HICKS Standard Handbook of Engineering Calculations (McGraw-Hill) Section Two, Architectural Engineering, Solar Engineering ? The chapter's bibliography appears to include ASHRAE's handbook but others as well.

Thanks for your replies.

25362, that book is pretty good. I have another called gieck and gieck (or geek and geek).

tunalover, basically I have a 1.2m parabolic dish and I'm trying to determine what the maximum useful energy can be extracted from this device. It's like a 2nd law efficiency.

Mintjulep, I found something very similar from the nasa website. It gives the maximum and the average values of solar insolation at any location on earth. Thank you, though , for your reply.

You can also try MIL-STD-810F, which in Method 505.4-14 shows the 99-percentile diurnal solar radiation load. The other is MIL-HDBK-310, which has a smidgen more data about lesser percentiles.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back