Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily2017

Bioengineer
May 2, 2018
CA
Hi everyone,

I'm in need of career advice.

I recently graduated with a BSc and an MSc in Biochemistry. My MSc involved lab work in stem cell and cancer research.

My plan after my MSc was to attend medical school, but I'm having a change of heart. I'm now thinking that a career in engineering might be more stable and conducive to a decent lifestyle, not to mention that I've always been interested in it. I didn't really enjoy lab work in my master's, so I don't think I'd want a career focused on that.

I'd love to hear your advice about what engineering path would be ideal for me as far as (1) minimal additional schooling; (2) good job satisfaction and; (3) decent salary.

Thank you!!! Any information/advice would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you're possibly experiencing the fear of experiencing. To say that you've always thought about a career in engineering without even having a discipline in mind suggests that at the end of this new road, you'll yet again find something to your dislike and will come back in 2 or 3 yrs asking about some different direction. If you can't determine what's going to get you out of bed every morning for the next 43 years from what you know now, asking random strangers about possible careers seems a bit random.

Now, I KNEW from 7th grade that I wanted to be an EE, and that's what I majored in, and that's what I spent the first 10 years of my career doing. I wound up on a different path, but that was more of a happenstance than my deciding I didn't like my major anymore.

If you've learn anything at all from life, you should learn that there is no magical "plan" that will be guaranteed to get you to retirement in one piece and in the same discipline. The discipline that you suddenly eschew after spending, what, 6 years chasing, must have had some appeal, otherwise, you would have bailed from it much sooner.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

One problem with working in any medical field is that you get no respect (or money) with any degree other than an MD or a PhD, or preferably both.

Everyone else, including engineers, is mere 'help'.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I am reminded that my best friend in high school headed off to college, majoring in what I assumed would be EE, but after 4 changes in majors, including a brief stint in veterinary school, he finally graduated after 5 yrs as, wait for it, EE. He's now on the verge of retiring as same.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back