Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Direction! How did you get there? Are you happy now you're there? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilioestevez

Electrical
Aug 22, 2007
US
I'm currently a field service technician planning on going back to school for electrical engineering. My problem is that I have no idea what I would do with the degree. I know I want to do better financially than what I'm doing now (although that's not near my highest priority when it comes to planning my career) and I am very motivated when it comes to learning new things. I've been researching online but all I can come up with is different job titles and possibly salaries to go along with them.

What I'm looking from in this post is an example of what engineers (preferably electrical) are actually doing. How did you get there? Are you happy or fulfilled with what you are doing? and would you have done anything differently along the way?

There's so many different routes to take and I'd like to have some kind of direction to guide me along through the learning process. I know I like the industrial environment and robotics have always sounded interesting to me. But what else is out there that I might be missing?

I've also been looking at engineering management based on the fact that I know I have better than average management skills but would still have the benefit of learning all the things that interest me. Any ideas on routes to take in that direction?

One last question. I've also read that a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering with a specialty in electrical engineering might be a good choice as apposed to a EE degree. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am mechanical but I package electronics. It has been a learning curve as electrical was my worse subject (My BSME required several electrical classes). I have learned alot about PCB's and wiring in general. Although the EE guys tell us what needs to be on the board I need to make sure that I can build it and fit it in my box.

I think a BSEE would open alot of doors for you. Not sure if I would do a BS in engineering with a focus on electrical if EE work is what interests you. A guy I worked with had a BS in engineering and his curriculum was almost idenitcal to my BSME (not sure what his focus was though). Except for a statics and a thermal class the EE's at our school had a full two years of electrical courses for their core. Not sure if you would have the foundation you need just going for a BS but maybe someone with that degree could better advise you. Probably want to make sure its accredited too.

I thought about getting a double BS for electrical but like I said its a bad subject for me. But there seems to be lots of jobs even here in Michigan.

Working in electrical automotive I can say that there are lots of different things you could do. Especially with cars being all electronic these days. From circuit boards in the rear view mirrors to fitting them in valve stems to monitor tire pressure. I work on junction boxes and there is always lots of work for those. With computers controlling everything nowadays, plus all of these hybrid vehicles EE's are busy.

But these are just examples as Automotive is a rough market and one I might steer clear of.

I love the idea of robotics (almost got into myself back in my drafter days). These days everything is electric. From your toothbrush to home electronics there is plenty of variety in the EE field.

But honestly, whatever you want to do when you graduate probably isn't going to be what you end up doing anyways ;)

my .02

I think that you should look at your course catalog in your major, particularly the advanced courses, which tend to reflect actual work-related subject matter. Note that for the most part, the mathematical and analytical parts of your coursework tend to be less utilized in an actual job, since there are lots more aspects to the job than doing equations. Nonetheless, when you do need to crunch numbers, having a solid foundation is an absolute must.

I would also suggest that you look in the want ads in various trade magazines, as that'll tend to give you a more applicable view of what companies are looking for, and the ads will usually give you some idea of the work involved.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

First, emilioeestevez I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

I served in the US Navy as an electrician and then went to college to get my BSEE. Your field technician experience will make you a better engineer some day. Being able to think of the maintenance and installation of equipment at design time is invaluable.

I focused largely on power systems (motors, transformers, generators, etc.) in my upper-level classes. It has lead me into electric power systems engineering and I have really enjoyed it thus far. IMHO, pick what you like about EE and specialize in it. I believe the best engineers honestly love what they do. Think about that job where you will take work home, not to meet deadlines or make the boss happy, but just because you love doing it (kind of sick I know)!

One note though, get those basics down! All higher designs and calculations use the basics so they are the key. I am sure you already know V=IR so you know more than most kids going into EE.

Good luck!

When you become an engineer, technicians will call you "stupid engineer". They are all smarter than you, just ask them and they will be happy to tell you all the things you can't learn in school. They don't want to hear about things they should have learned in eighth grade.

Your boss will say you are an obstructionist. "Shoot the engineers and get started", he likes to say. He will only listen to you when it is convenient (i.e. he already knows he agrees with you). Of course, you will have to listen to him when a project fails because he didn't listen to you.

Said many times before in this forum: an engineering degree (of whatever flavor) teaches you one thing, and that is how to solve problems. That one skill can be applied in many, many places, tasks, and jobs.

You want to know what they do? The simplest way is to cruise the job boards (Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed, etc) and look at the job descriptions.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Are you a NETA tech? Do you enjoy it? If you answered yes to both you are in the best situation you can be in already, there is a huge demand for certified techs and you can make more doing that than you can as an engineer if you place yourself right.

OEM's offer some interesting choices taht your testing experoence will pay off in. I was a NETA lvl IV but didnt really enjoy it, my education was being wasted so I moved on to a niche that I really enjoy so far, took a paycut to do it but best choice I have made so far, $ dosent buy :)

Scott

I'm not a NETA Tech. But I do love my job. I just feel I can contribute a lot more to industry as an engineer. I have an urge to directly contribute to some kind of innovation (I guess as a way to leave my mark) but I feel I won't get the chance I'm looking for as a technician. I am also confident that, whatever it is I decide to do, I will be very good at it. And I would have to believe I would earn a better living as a good engineer than as a good service tech.

On a different note, I am very goal oriented and always need something to be pushing towards whether I think I will actually end up there or not. I change my mind constantly and am aware of that but I believe I move forward a lot faster when I'm chasing a specific goal rather than just doing something hoping a few doors open up along the way. It's kind of like if you're driving somewhere and in a hurry but you're not sure if you're going in the right direction, what's the point of speeding up?

I was really hoping for more specific type responses like: "I went to school for this. I ended up doing this. I wish I learned more about this. I'm not sure about that part of my job but this part makes up for it." -- Just as an example.

I do appreciate all the responses however and I hope everyone understands why the responses I am looking for are a little more in depth than what can be found on job boards or a Google search.

Thanks

If you love your job why change? I have a Applied Nuclear Technologies and a Human Resources Management degrees and I dont use either one, I get to problem solve everyday, I get the projects no one else in the world wants to do or cant do because I have resources and capabilities at my disposal that no one else does, I love my job.

Maybe you are just working for the wrong company if you cant contribute to some sort of inovation, sounds like you are being held back, I have been there, so I left. Even though I was making 6 figures as a tech, I wanted to do something I enjoyed and could have freedom to "make my mark".

If you want the degree, go for it. If you want to explore the "boundaries" of being a technician, do that. Only you can truly decide. Career paths evolve, maybe more so for an engineer but not necessarily. Best advice I could give would be to remain open and flexible. Listen to your instincts and you will do OK.

Regards

PSE is right, but I get feeling you are shooting beyond a first degree. This is the best way to get the degree anyway but I suspect your innovative interests will be kindled through a masters course, if you don't find your answers in the first degree.

I am a struct eng but I didn't even know what kind of engineer I wanted to be.....only I had to have a degree and leave a mark. The first degree didn't answer the question but it set me on the path. Techies with ambition, are a great thing. I met a few of them at university and they were the best teachers; practical, smart and driven. They just kept going until the masters.

I wonder where they're at now.

Tis a long path, but takes only a moment.

Robert Mote

Even though none of these responses were what I expected, I really appreciate all of them. In fact, I've decided to look at service tech jobs in other industries before going back to school. I already know I like this type of work and even if I do decide to get my engineering degree in the future, I'll have a better idea of the industries that are out there.

This was my first post on this forum and I'm really glad I did it. Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back